Saturday, October 10, 2009

Monuments, Melodies, and Me

“You make me happy, you magnify my better half.”
In times before, I listened to that line and agreed with it.
It was only until recently that I discovered how true it is.
Towards the end of my high school career, I started hanging out with people that partied a lot. I started doing things that I was brought up not to do.
I was taught to abide by the law.
I was taught that only the person you were in a relationship with was the only person you kissed…and whatnot.
Maybe it was the things I watched on TV.
Maybe it was the people I hung out with and the need to feel accepted by them.
Whatever it was, I was changing.
I always thought I was raised appropriately. I knew right from wrong because I was taught right from wrong. But towards the end of high school, I chose wrong.
Maybe it was because I had been a “goody” for so long that I needed to rebel.
Maybe it was because for the first time, as of my junior year of high school, a boy had finally pursued me. That’s right, I said as a high school junior – 17 years old at that. The beginning of summer after my senior year was the craziest time I’ve ever had. I won’t get into details, but I was becoming someone I thought I’d never be.
Then I started hanging out with someone that was…is the complete opposite of who I was.
He’s completely straightedge, without the look/style and scene, plus he goes to church.
Why would he ever like someone like me? I thought. And yet, here we are today and he loves me even though I’ve done foolish things in the past and still sometimes do foolish things now.
But I’m grateful to have him in my life.
I sometimes don’t know what I’d do with out him.
He makes me want to be a better person. I respect his lifestyle and want to be involved with it.
And if there is anyone out there that feels the way I do – I have some advice:
- Be with someone who makes you happy.
Be with someone who makes you want to be a better person. And if you already are a good person, be with someone who helps you to stay that person you want to be.
Be with someone who will allow you to grow as a person and in doing so, you’ll grow together.
Be with THAT person, and no one else.

I love you, being with you makes me happy, and I want to become a better person to make you even happier than you are to be with me.
“You make me happy. You magnify my better half.”

No comments:

Post a Comment