Thursday, December 10, 2009

Nostalgia Part 1 - High School

I used to think that my best friends in middle school to high school would be my best friends forever.
I thought, what could be better than this?
Sleepovers.
Movie nights.
Surprise birthday parties.
Crazy nick names for boys.
Comforting each other at midnight when one of those boys broke someone's heart.
Sitting together at lunch everyday.
Cheering on the band at basketball games. (lol)
These were my best friends.
Nothing could tear us apart.
I even had all of my bride's maids picked out.

Then something happened.
And to this day I'm unaware of the exact reason why it happened.
We fell apart.
The group of friends I used to consider my friends for life ended.
I could blame the distance that college made but I don't think that was entirely it.
It started my senior year.
I could feel it.
I was hanging out with different people.
They were hanging out with different people.
The only thing that kept us "friends" was our history and just happening to be in the same classes.

The bond between us was slipping.
We stopped hanging out just to do nothing.
We stopped having group get-togethers.
We stopped talking.
We stopped talking.
We stopped talking.

Maybe there was a reason for why we stopped talking.
Maybe after graduation I found out who my true friends were.
The ones that mattered all along.
The ones that truly cared about me.
The ones that really are my friends for life.
Maybe I'm wrong.
But how do explain how many friends I have from high school now?
How do you explain that in high school the group of my "best friends" consisted of about 8 people and of those friends, I only consider 2 of them my best friends now?
How do you explain that?

What went wrong?
What changed?
Did I change?
Did she change?
Did we change?
But what does change have to do with it?
She was my best friend.
She was my best friend.
She was my BEST friend.

They were my girls.
They were my friends.

3 comments:

  1. i like this I LIKE IT AHLOHT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh marissa! you ARE one of my best friends...just wait til i finish my one about niacc! haha

    ReplyDelete