Friday, December 3, 2010

The Power of Music (#3)

"Music washes away from the soul, the dust of everyday life." - Berthold Auerbach
That quote says so many things, without hardly saying anything.
It says music heals.
Music cleanses.
Music just makes life better.
When I'm having a bad day, a song can ignite happiness in my heart.
But it also has the effect of making the floods coming rushing from my eyes, especially when I've been heartbroken.
But it heals.
It can close wounds that have torn open repeatedly.
It can make me feel whole again.
It can even turn a misbehaving child into in an angel.
Like what Bob Marley can do.
Or what Florence and the Machine can do.
Those two videos spread smiles across my face every time I watch them. (Although I dislike the "take that Jesus" comment in Baby Bob Marley/)
How to calm a crying child? Play it music!
Children, teenagers and adults alike know the power of music.
I was raised in the boy band era and every time the Backstreet Boys or N*SYNC came on TRL, there would be girls crying and fainting.
Girls would talk about how the songs changed their lives or how they were able to conquer some sort of barrier because they heard "Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely."
It sounds silly, but that's the power of music.
It moves people.
It makes people cry.
It makes people happy.
It overwhelms emotions.
It overwhelms the senses to make you feel good.
Music just makes me feel good.
And I don't know what I'd do without it.

Listen to these, these make me happy:
"Free Fallin'" John Mayer
"Time to Pretend" MGMT
"Dog Days are Over" Florence and the Machine
"Put Your Records On" Corrine Bailey Rae
"Love Shack" B-52's
"Don't Stop Believin (Regionals Version)" Glee Cast
"Feelin' Good" Michael Bublé version
"Short Skirt, Long Jacket" Cake
"Grace Kelly" Mika
"Swim" Jack's Mannequin
And to quote "Swim" to wrap this up

..."Swim for the music that saves you when you're not so sure you'll survive."

No comments:

Post a Comment