Saturday, February 14, 2009

Commercialized Expections

PLEASE READ WITH MUCH SARCASM IN MIND.


Here is the holiday I LOVE to complain about: Valentine's Day. Have I ever had a date/boyfriend on Valentine's Day? No. So, you're going to think: well that's the reason you're not a fan of this holiday. Well, you could say that, but I'll disagree with you.

I think the last time I celebrated this commercialized event was in elementary school when we brought boxes, cards and candy to give to our classmates. PS: I still have the heart shaped box I decorated myself from 5th grade.

It's not like I've never received anything for Valentine's Day, the gifts just weren't from boys. Every year I receive some sort of stuffed animal and a box of chocolates from my mother - Oh joy.

There have also been instances where my friends have given me gifts that were way unexpected and very appreciated.

Alex once came to my house with a bouquet of assorted flowers which totally made my day. Another time Jordan gave me some rather "risque" gifts. But for the most part, I just don't celebrate it.

First of all, it's not even a real holiday. Businesses aren't closed, mail is still delivered and people still go to school.

The only people who truly benefit from this holiday, are the workers of Hallmark, Russell Stovers, and FTD with the economic boost they get for being depicted as THE places to get gifts for celebrating Valentine's Day.

I'm single, but give me a break, Single Awareness Day? Really? Everyday is single awareness day for me. It's just more obvious to people on the day of. Like people really care anyway. It's not like they're thinking, "Oh, she doesn't have a date. Poor thing." Please...

Just because you're single, doesn't mean you have to sulk. Go out with friends. Buy them flowers if it matters that much to you. Hell, buy yourself that oversized teddy bear holding a heart...(yeah, I've done it, so what? It was 75% off and I collect teddy bears.)

If I happened to have a boyfriend, date, or whatever for Valentine's Day, cool, whatever. If he wants to celebrate, I'm going to want to go out and get gifts because I'm expecting him to treat me.

That's the thing, people have these expectations on this day that they're supposed to get flowers or they're supposed to go out to dinner. If my non-existent boyfriend can't take me out or doesn't want to, that's gonna piss me off.

In the movie Juwanna Mann, the chick says "I want a man that will send flowers to me, just because it’s Wednesday" and at the end of the movie, he does. It's the sweetest thing. That's what I want and I can't understand why any other girl wouldn't want that. I want someone who will buy me a gift just because it's Wednesday, or Tuesday, or the 4th of September or just because it's the third week of April.

If you really want to show affection through gifts, why wait for Valentine's Day? It's more special to give and receive when it's least expected; it's more rewarding and more memorable. So if in the future, I have somebody to celebrate it with, I'm not going to force anything on him. Just his company on every other days is what I want the most.

And don't get me wrong, I'm probably one of the most hopeless romantics out there. I cry every time I watch The Notebook and wish someone would come to my door and sing me a song like in A Lot Like Love, or hell, write me song to come stop me from marrying a douche bag in Vegas. (The Wedding Singer, my favorite movie ever.)

And I get chills every time at the climax in the song "Love Story" by Taylor Swift where the music picks up and she sings "...marry me Juliet, you never have to be alone..."

I'm just saying, it's commercialized and full of high hopes and expectations that sometimes get crushed. So, no thank you Cupid, I think I'll pass.

1 comment:

  1. You know I had a similar experience to your scenario about expectations with my girlfriend today. It ended with me feeling like shit (no surprise there). But I realized it was for no real reason, so I just let it go. Valentine's day is such bullshit. But there's good and bad to it, like everything.

    ReplyDelete