Friday, February 13, 2009

Finding Happiness

Do what makes you happy. Sounds simple doesn't it? And why shouldn't you do what makes you happy? Why would you want to do something that doesn't make you happy?

But what if you don't know what makes you happy? What if it's impossible to be happy? Is happiness an emotion or a state of mind? Can people simply choose to be happy without any effort or is it something you have to achieve?

I love those moments that make you smile for no reason but then, out of the blue, you can't remember how to capture that feeling again.

There are things that make me happy. But in perspective, I'm not a happy person. I think I rely on others too much to make me happy. I need to learn how to be happy for me. I can't allow other people to be the backbone or foundation of my happiness. If I'm going to get out of this RUT, I need to learn how to be happy without the assistance of people and things.

I can't buy happiness and I can't look to others for it. I need to learn how to deal with my emotions and learn to assess why I feel the way I feel. I feel like I'm empathetic towards others, yet I have trouble understanding my own emotions. I understand things, but I don't know why I feel down sometimes and I don't know how to fix that. I don't know how to make myself happy. When I can do that, I will my find my true happiness.

1 comment:

  1. I understand exactly how you feel. I think about this a lot as well. Though there's a snag: sometimes the way to make YOURSELF happy is to confide in materialistic things or other people. I really don't think it's possible to make yourself happy without the influence of others. On the other hand, other people can cause you irreplaceable sadness. It's always a gamble. But I know that without one person in my life, I would be totally miserable. And with her, I am happy. That's all I know. So I'm not sure if I believe in the self-happiness thing.

    ReplyDelete