Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Stealing is NOT Okay

On a recent job application I was asked the question with variants of agreeableness, "People will usually steal if they know they will get away with it."

I had to think about it for awhile, would I steal something if I knew I could get away with it? And I finally came to the conclusion that I wouldn't. I mean the possibility is always there, but the one thing that is holding me back is that it's just wrong.

Now, some of you may think that I am just being a coward, but that's not it. Too much of me thinks about the what ifs.
What if...I was the person in charge and found out that I had been stolen from? I would have to tell it to my manager, boss, supervisor or whatever. It would be on my shoulders, it would be partially my fault for not catching the act.
What if...Someone stole something from me? I would feel pissed, frustrated, sad, revengeful, betrayed, and so many other emotions. And what if it was something irreplaceable?
What if...The cops got involved?
What if...I did get caught?
What if...It hurt someone else's reputation?
There are just too many things that go through my mind that stop me.

In an instance today, I caught someone stealing from me. The neighbors that live behind me on the other block jumped my fence, stole a few rhubarb stalks, and then left the leaves on top of the plant to, I don't know, make it look like an animal did it?

I was sitting right there next to the window. Did he not see me? And if he did, did he think I didn't notice? I didn't do anything just because I simply was too lazy, but now that I think about I should have.

I don't care that it was rhubarb and that it regrows, it was the fact that he took it without asking. Like honestly, who does that? It's rhubarb. Is it really that worth stealing? And if you really wanted it that bad, can't you just ask?

But that brings me to another thing, this isn't the first time I've seen him in my backyard. I was up late, around 2 AM, and I saw him with a flashlight in my backyard. I figured he just lost something and hopped the fence to look for it so I turned the light on. Now that I think about it, what he brought back kind of looked like a stalk of rhubarb. WTF? It makes me wonder what else he comes into our yard for. My mother's garden statues? The tomato garden? Our flowers?

All I know is for the next time I see him in our backyard, I'm gonna make sure he doesn't steal something again because stealing is NOT okay in my book.

No comments:

Post a Comment