Saturday, June 12, 2010

Non-Existent

You know that feeling while driving somewhere you visit frequently where you're oblivious to everything around you, and you're pretty much on autopilot? Where by the time you get to the destination you realize you don't remember anything about the drive unless something significant happened that normally doesn't. You don't think about the speed, you don't think about turning or signalling , you just go and before you know it you're there.

Well, I had a similar feeling happen to me today. I was walking down the street to Kum & Go to return a movie to the Red Box. I wasn't thinking about anything. I wasn't paying any attention to where I was going because I've walked down and back Burlington a million times. I then looked up at one of the buildings, and I noticed the angular structure of the building around the windows - something I hadn't noticed before, and suddenly I felt like I didn't exist. I know it sounds really strange, but I literally felt like nothing around me was real and I felt like I wasn't real either. I even thought to myself - "I feel like I don't exist right now." I've been feeling so alone lately that the lack of human contact has literally got me feeling like I'm disappearing.

It wasn't until the guy in front of me was having difficulties returning his movie - as did I when I tried returning mine - when things started to feel real again. We laughed at the fact the machine was being stupid and then moved on with our lives. I walked into the Kum & Go, bought a KG Koolee, and started walking back home. As I was about to cross the street some guy in his car yelled at me - "I could really use a wish right now, and you're my wish." It gave me a good genuine laugh and I felt like I existed again.

No comments:

Post a Comment