Saturday, January 22, 2011

It's oh so quiet, shh...shh...shh

I like the quiet
I like being able to hear my own thoughts
I like being able to hear my heart beat
I like to hear the sound of my breath with every inhale, every exhale
I like to sit outside in the quiet
I like to hear the noises of nature surrounding me
Like the wind whistling through the trees
Or the occasional bird chirp
Or slight cracking of a branch as a squirrel pounces across
I stood outside in the still of night a couple nights ago
It was cold and the frost of winter started to numb my face
But I listened to the wind briefly 
It was quiet
I listened as the frozen rain on some everlasting leaves clinked together like hollow bones on a witch doctor's necklace
That's the only way to describe the sound
You rarely hear the sound of leaves covered in ice in the dead of a winter night
It was quiet and that's all that was heard
I like to sit in the quiet while taking a hot bath
The sound of the water lightly splashing with every small movement
The hollow sounds that echo off the bathroom walls
Or the small crackling noises of bubbles dissolving on top of the water
I like the quiet
Peaceful
Quiet
Shh...

No comments:

Post a Comment