Monday, January 19, 2009

For the Love of Broadway [Part 1]

Ever since the second semester started, I have been focusing a lot on what I want to sing for Quodlibet. I've known that the theme was Broadway pretty much since school was over last year, but I'm still debating. I know for sure that I want to sing "There Are Worst Things I Could Do" from Grease just because it's perfect for my range and I have the whole thing plotted out in my head.

Last semester, Alycia said she wanted to do "Take Me or Leave Me" from Rent with me. Now she's hesitant of doing it because April and Jana want to do it, Ryner doesn't like Rent, and it's kind of a risky song to do for a family show. So, I don't know if Alycia and I are even going to do a duet. I'd like to but I don't think our voices would blend they way the song feels. I don't know...

However, the song that I'm going to do with Lindsay, I'm very excited about. It's like it was made for us. Even the title "Secondary Characters" is like what we feel like sometimes, but for different reasons. And the whole "by the end of this song, we'll be best friends" fits perfectly considering Lindsay and I haven't always been remotely close to being best friends (except since we've been out of high school.) So, the song kind of pokes fun at that.

Anyway, considering Alycia doesn't want to do the lezbo song (lol), I've been looking up many female duets and I came across a song called "In His Eyes" from Jekyll and Hyde. I've heard of the musical before but I had never listened to any of the music before. There was one song called "Someone Like You" but I didn't really listen to it that close. However, "In His Eyes" is one of the best female duets I've ever heard. The beginning starts off mezzo piano but towards the middle, you can actually feel the love and heartache these women feel for the man/men they're singing about in their voices. Both of their voices are so powerful and they have a tremendous range. I've been listening to it over and over again and I pretty much have it memorized and I even get chills each time I listen to it.

There is a lyrics in the song that I take to heart when I listen to it. While thinking about lyrics in the song, I've decided to pick some that I often think about in other songs, name them off and write about them. But I'll hold off until later because I need to go to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment